Monday, January 28, 2008

Let's talk about podcasts!


I have heard the term "podcasts" thrown around loosely over the past year or so but never really knew what it meant, who used it or what is was used for. I knew it was some sort of new technology people were getting excited about but I did not know what the hype was all about. A few of my professors mentioned it over the past year, and until last week it was a term I had only heard in the confines of a classroom

And then I started my first PR internship. Day two. I sat quietly at my desk working through various tasks I was delegated to do by others in the PR department when I heard two of them discussing a podcast. "Really, a podcast?" I did not think this was a technology that PR professionals were actually utilizing. Man was I wrong.

Excited to know that my classroom learning is actually applicable to the real world, I went home to research podcasts. According to podcast.com, a podcast is “a buzzword to describe a very simple concept: an audio or video file available on the internet for you to listen and/or watch. Then I visited podcast.net and sampled a few podcasts. To my surprise, I found that the world of podcasts is huge, and rapidly expanding. I listened to an audiocast of a wedding planner who advised listeners to make their wedding a “reflection of your personal lifestyle and aspects of your life that are unique to your relationship.” Then I watched a short video on old-school skate boarders skating in pools and on make-shift half pipes.

I see now that the world of podcasts is a rapidly expanding part of the communication industry that makes information easily available via the internet or an iPod. I think this is a technology we will definitely see more of in the near future! What do you think?

Check out this video in which Keith O'Brien, news editor at PRWeek, discusses podcasts and blogs as direct communication methods in PR.

No comments: